Chicken and Rice Soup is a simple soup made with easy to find ingredients of chicken breast, wild rice, vegetable broth, chicken broth, carrots, celery, yellow onion, garlic and thyme.
We are getting into the season of soups. There is just something so completely comforting about coming home after a long day when it is chilly outside and enjoying a big bowl of warm soup. It is perfection. Plus, the recipe is fully loaded with lots of chicken and rice to keep you satisfied all night and great to heat up for leftovers the next day.
You may also like this Cheesy Potato Soup recipe!
Chicken and Rice Soup
Chicken and Rice Soup has a simple broth base without a whole lot of extra flavors happening. This also makes it the perfect flu season soup to make when everyone in the house is feeling under the weather. Come to think of it- maybe you should just make a batch now to freeze for when that day comes.
How to Freeze
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and freeze or use for meal prep for those cold weeks ahead. When freezing this soup, I recommend cooking the rice separate with a portion of the vegetable or chicken broth and let it cool before adding to the soup. This stops the rice from getting too mushy so it will still taste great when re-heated. Let the soup cool completely before placing in freezer bags and seal well. Defrost before heating in the microwave or on the stove top.
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 pound chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- olive oil, butter can be swapped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- ground pepper
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice, wild rice blend can be used**
- salt optional
- Cook a pound of chicken fully, let cool and cube. You can also use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Wash the vegetables. Peel and slice carrots, slice celery and chop the onion. Also mince the garlic cloves.
- Place a stockpot on the stovetop and heat up on a medium heat.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil or a little butter to the bottom of the pot.
- Add in chopped celery, carrots and onion. Add some fresh ground pepper. Mix and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pot and add another drizzle of olive oil. Drop in the minced garlic and let cook for about 1 minute with the oil. Stir the garlic in with the rest of the ingredients in the pot.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and chicken broth. Add the leaves from 2 sprigs of thyme. Place the stove on a higher heat to bring mixture to a boil.
- Add rice and cook according to time on package and bring the soup down to a low simmer. Wild rice is typically 40 minutes.
- Mix chicken cubes in.
- Taste test the broth to see if it needs a little salt and add salt accordingly. Serve when the rice is fully cooked.